Thursday, December 15, 2011

TOP 5 THINGS I WILL MISS ABOUT KANSAS CITY


Well, Heather and I are beginning our move to Houston this coming week.

As excited as we are about our new adventure in a new town, at a new church, with new friends and a new kid, we are bummed to be leaving.

So, I thought I would make a list of the five things I will miss most about this wonderful town... Kansas City.

5. The Music Scene -
KC has a great music scene... There are lots of great local bands and venues around here.
Just to name a couple of my favorites:

Venues:
- Record Bar (1020 Westport Road) - I have seen and played many a great show at this place. No matter the day, you're probably gonna see a great show when you walk in. This is where the best indie bands play when they come through KC.

- The Brick (1727 McGee Street) - I'm a little partial to this place because they have been so great to me. Love playing here whenever I get the chance... not to mention, their food is fantastic!

Bands:
- Fullbloods (fullbloods.com) - These guys are so good, it's ridiculous. Sure, they're my friends, but it's just an honor to know them and to have played some shows with them whenever I've gotten the chance. Ross Brown can write a song, boy! Go listen to their tunes right now!

- Atlas (useyouratlas.com) - Ryan Adams fans will love these guys. If you can, go see them live... you will not be disappointed!

4) The City's Character -
There aren't many towns with as much character as KC. Trust me.
Downtown.
City Market.

The Western Auto sign.

The Nelson-Atkins Museum lawn (complete with the giant shuttlecocks).

The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.

Westport.

Country Club Plaza.

Union Station.

Liberty Memorial.

First Friday art walks.


3) The Food -
Oh man. I'm really gonna miss the food (and drinks) in KC.

Just to name a few of my favorite places...

- Oklahoma Joe's:
It's a proven fact that OKJ's has the BEST BBQ in the world. Get the Z-Man and fries (pictured above).

- Gates BBQ:
Hi, may I help you?

- Blanc Burgers + Bottles:
Best burgers in town... easily.

- Burrito Bros.:
Chipotle and Qdoba got nothing on Burrito Bros.

- Town Topic:
Great 24-hour burger dive. Killer onion rings when you want a late-night snack.

- Boulevard beer:
The beer that got me into beer. Can't go wrong with a nice Boulevard wheat or Pilsner, if you ask me.

- Oddly Correct:
Great coffee from a strange guy! ;)

2) My House -
I'm really gonna miss my house in Brookside (arguably the best neighborhood in KC). It's a small house, but it's just perfect. Plus, I can walk to any place I would ever need to go. The fall in my 'hood is absolutely beautiful. Gonna miss that. A lot.

1) My Friends -
I've got the best friends here. I can't tell you how sad I am to leave them.
Seriously, my friends here are the best people I've ever known and it kills me to say goodbye.
Thank you all for everything... and please come visit me. Texas isn't all that bad. In fact, I'm quite fond of it, as well.

(pictured here are just a few of my favorite people on the globe)

No comments:

Post a Comment